Pictures from Wales
Caernarfon Castle was the first of many Welsh castles that we visited. For a 13th-century castle it was in quite good condition.
Conwy Castle was another 13th-century castle, but it was more of a ruin than Caernarfon Castle was.
Right outside Conwy Castle was Thomas Telford’s suspension bridge, which was built in 1826 and remained the main road into Conwy until 1954.
Also in Conwy was Plas Mawr, a great house that was built in the Elizabethan period and is now being restored by Cadw to its original condition.
Raglan Castle was of more recent vintage, but it was mostly torn down during the Civil War and was never rebuilt after that.
Powis Castle, on the other hand, was still used as a residence until the latter part of the 20th century. Now it and its gardens are operated by the National Trust.
And then there was Dolwyddelan Castle. This was a Welsh castle and, it has to be said, much inferior to the English castles. (It didn’t help that we were there in horizontal rain.)
The ramparts of ruined castles were excellent places for Herring Gulls to nest, and we saw gull chicks on almost all of the old castles.
After hiking up Snowdon, we visited the Welsh Slate Museum, near Llanberis, and watched a slate-splitting demonstration by one of the former slate workers.
Every time we drove between Caernarfon and the Snowdon Ranger hostel we passed the old church at Betws Garmon. Finally we decided to stop and take its photograph.
We went to see Bodnant Gardens, near Conwy, one afternoon. The gardens were very extensive but, since it was June, there were not many flowers in bloom.
We stayed one night in the youth hostel near Dolgellau before leaving Wales. Unlike the Snowdon Ranger hostel, there were only seven guests there, so it was very quiet.
That evening we had dinner at the George III hotel, down by the Mawddach River. It had been a railway station earlier in its life, but had been converted to a hotel when the trains ceased running.